luni, 3 septembrie 2012

My labor day weekend (and some facts along the way)

As an irony I shall write this blog post in English, so to proceed....I had a fun Saturday going out with a friend and her guest from Germany. So I experienced for the first time Dim Sum in Chinatown (after the all you can eat chinese buffet I can't say I was impressed by the dim sum), and we took a walk along Boston's historic red line, ending our tour at the USS Constitution, where sadly I did not had my passport with me (Why oh why I always forget to take that thing, because here in US they always request an ID, surprised they don't request it when you go to the restroom :)) ).

On the evening we all stopped at her place and I had my first American cookout. Did some Salmon with sweet potatoes and American style pasta, was delicious. And of course I was lucky to find some Romanian wine, Murfatlar at the Liquor store next door. Ironic or not, it was a Russian liquor store so the owner in an European old fashioned way, did not ask for ID :)). But a fun fact here, when we asked him where he was from, we got a strange answer....in a strong russian accent from old american movies in the 80's we heard: "I am from the USSR". My friend from Lithuania replied that of course that can't be possible, USSR does not exist anymore, but the man kept proudly saying that he is from there, and of course that he tasted my Murfatlar wine also in the USSR (probably he is still under the impression Romania is under the USSR). Which brings me to the next interesting point of the evening.

An american friend of my friends, while having a conversation and cooking with the girl from Germany told us that Romania was under Germany, because how I was explained, Germany was all over Europe, and the guy joked that Ro-mania sounds like Ger-Mania (hence the name of the country), don't know where he got that "interesting" fact from. Didn't know if to laugh or....maybe I did not get the joke. I still can't get most of the american jokes so far, by the way :).

But, Romania has the name from the Roman empire, which is latin, nothing to do with Russia, Germany, or any other countries. So I'd hope people from here would understand that I am not from Russia, I don't speak russian (I was asked so many times when I mention Romania that I am sick of it), neither that Romania is under any country domination. It's a free, wonderful democratic republic in the European Union. I agree that I don't know all the states from USA, or much of USA history, but what I don't know, I won't argue with you, or tell you something about your own history that's completly ridiculous.

I encourage all to visit that part of Europe and discover the reality, and see a nice country and people that inhabit it, you will be surprised.
 
Time to go out and enjoy the free Monday we are having for labor day (no they don't have may 1st for that). 

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu